15 Nov Visas in Colombia: New regulations on procedures, requirements, categories and investment necessities.
The Colombian Government issued Resolution 6045 on August 2nd, 2017 which reduces the categories and subcategories of visas for foreigners in Colombia. Foreign Direct Investment is included in the new stablished categories. It is important to keep in mind the main general characteristic for all the visas:
- Multiple entries. All types of visa allow multiple entries, exits or transits.
- Study permit. Any visa with a validity of 180 days or more, will allow its holder to study during the validity or authorized tenure, except the tourist visa or airport transit visa.
- This resolution came into effect on December 15, 2017. Visas issued before this Resolution will maintain their validity and conditions. Upon expiration of these visas, a new one must be requested in accordance with the rules established in this Resolution.
The new main categories are listed below:
- Visitor visa or “V” type visa:
- Validity of the “V” visa can be granted for up to 2 years considering the activity proposed by the foreigner in Colombia.
- Transversal permit: within its validity, the “V” type visa (except airport transit visa) will allow business negotiations, market studies, plans or direct investment procedures and business creation.
- Migrant visa or “M” type visa:
- Validity: the “M” visa will be valid for 3 years. When the duration of the contract or studies is less than three years, in accordance with some conditions, it may have less validity. Also, the time of residence authorized in the national territory to the holder will be equal to the time of validity of the same.
- Migrant visa as a real estate investor. The foreigner must acquire real property for an amount not less than three hundred fifty (350) current minimum monthly legal wages and must provide some documents.
- Residence visa or “R” type visa:
- Validity: the “R” visa will be valid indefinitely. The residence time authorized in the national territory to the holder of this type of visa will be equal to the time of validity of the same.
Validity period of the “R” type visa label will be five (5) years. At the request of its owner, this document may be renewed for equal periods by visa transfer procedure.
- Transversal permits. The “R” type visa has an open work permit and allows its holder to carry out any legal activity in the national territory.
- Resident visa for direct foreign investment. The foreigner who applies for this type of visa, must provide a communication issued by the Department of International Exchange of the Bank of the Republic that records the direct foreign investment.
In Abusaid Gómez & Asociados, we are experts in foreign direct investment and can support your visa process and all related requirements related with your investment in Colombia. If you need more information and assessment, send us an email to email@example.com or contact us.